Not using Cedega to play on linux? Help us build the Linux Gaming Wiki!
Age of Wonders II
 Game Info
|Installer||Works, needs dll. There is a native installer|
|Game||Works with minor tweaks|
|Patch||Works, needs dll|
|Download patch||Mirrorlist (DLH.net)|
|Download demo||Google Search (google.com)|
|Requires no-cd patch||No|
|Multiplayer works||Hotseat works, networked does not|
|Works with Cedega version(s)||4.2, 4.1.1, 4.1, 4.0.1, 4.0, 3.2, 2.2.1|
|Tested with Cedega||4.2, 4.1.1, 4.1, 4.0.1, 4.0, 3.2, 2.2.1|
|Supported by TransGaming||No|
- The installer and patcher won't work. To fix this use the native installer.
- The native installer will also install the patch if requested
The following information is only needed if you don't use the native installer or if you use Point2Play:
- The game has some issues with the installer and patcher. To get it running you will need to use a native version of shell32.dll - see the HOWTO for details and instructions.
- The game will also fail to run properly if it tries to intialize DirectPlay - details on how to fix this are also in the above HOWTO.
- Initially, the game will not accept any input at all - a very awkward workaround was discovered and detailed in the above HOWTO, but a MUCH better workaround for this has been recently discovered by Zero_Dogg (Eskild Hustvedt). After getting the game installed and running as per the HOWTO, follow these instructions:
- Point2Play: Turn "Accelerated Interprocess Communication" off and turn "Decrease Wineserver Priority" on in the P2P configuration panel for the game executable.
- Commandline cedega: Make sure you have set
"SHMWineserver" = "N"in your configuration file (~/.transgaming/config). When you have started the game, change to another tty (Ctrl + Alt + F2), log in (prefferably as root, but user will work too - but not as well in some cases) and run the following command for a in `pgrep wineserver`; do renice 19 -p $a; done
- Both: None of this will work work if you have "Use Direct3D" or "Allow resolution changes" enabled in the game's configuration panel, but neither of these have any major effect on the game. You can change this by running "aow2Setup.exe" in the AoW2 directory. Also, thanks to this, the game can now be run fullscreen and at full speed, without the need for a console full of random clutter slowing the system down.
Age of Wonders II is a turn based RPG along the lines of Heroes of Might and Magic. You play a wizard, and can govern different spheres of magic. Control your wizard, heroes and other creatures and use your tactical skills in combat.
Among the features are:
- Single player campaign
- Single player scenario
- Multiplayer LAN/Internet play
- Multiplayer Play by E-mail (!)
- Hot-seat (play two or more people on the same computer
A detailed description of how to get this game working can be found at the Age of Wonders II HOWTO.