Not using Cedega to play on linux? Help us build the Linux Gaming Wiki!
Nascar Racing 2003 Season
 Game Info
|Installer||Works with issues:
|Game||Works, some fixes described below|
|Download patch||nr2003_update_en_1000_1201.exe (sierra.com)|
|Demo works||Not Tested|
|Download demo||si_nascar2003_demo.exe (sierra.com)|
|Requires no-cd patch||No|
|Multiplayer works||Not Tested|
|Works with Cedega version(s)||
|Tested with Cedega version(s)||
|Supported by TransGaming||No|
|URLs||Sierra Entertainment Official downloads
Playing Papyrus Games with Linux/386 and wine Original instructions and fixes
- Installer may crash during installation. (older versions of Cedega)
- Installer may not complete towards the end. (Cedega 5.2.10)
- Setup will attempt to play digital sound which can't be heard. Installation can be continued, and sound will work during gameplay.
- Sound glitches
- Wheel 'Dead Zone'
Newer versions of Cedega (as of 5.2.3)
The installer may fully install the game, but then stop with the following error: "An error occurred while launching setup 0x80020005". If that is the case, you will need to complete the steps below for getting the utility to install your CD Key:
1. Download and install unshield for Linux
2. Run unshield on the data1.cab, replace
installdir with appropriate temporary location you wish to expand the cab file (/tmp for example):
- unshield -d installdir /media/cdrom/data1.cab
cdkey_nr2003.exe from the cdrom directory to the installation directory.
5. Now complete the cdkey installation steps from below.
You may remove the expanded files from the temporary unpacking location.
Older versions of Cedega
The installer may not fully install the game. If this happens, perform the following steps:
1. Download and install unshield for Linux
2. Start the installation via Point2Play (optional)
3. After it crashes out run unshield on the data2.cab, replace
installdir with appropriate value. This will add in the missing files that were missed due to the installer crash.
- unshield -d installdir /media/cdrom/data2.cab
NR2003.EXE from the cdrom directory to the installation directory
5. If you skipped the installation via Point2Play you will need to complete the cdkey installation steps, otherwise ignore them.
CD Key installation
1. Use cedega to execute the
cdkey_nr2003.exe from within the install directory, where
AAAA-BBBB-CCCC-DDDD-EEEE is the CD key in your box.
- cedega cdkey_nr2003.exe AAAABBBBCCCCDDDDEEEE
(Note that for Cedega 5.2.3, you will have to create a shortcut and your CD key will be a command line option.)
In-Game Sound Issues
For older versions of Cedega:
To attempt to fix sound issues, edit
core.ini in the install directory (will not exist initially, unless the game has been run) and add/change the following lines:
[Sound] allow_buffer_recreation=1 convert_3d_stereo=1 enable_3d_interpolation=1 force_default_buffer_size=4 force_min_readahead=3.000000
Note that for Cedega 5.2.3, this did help with some of minor sound glitches, for OSS. This did not completely remove all sound issues.
Wheel 'Dead Zone'
You may notice that your wheel has a "dead zone" while calibrating it (or trying to race with it). This makes racing very interesting and a lot harder than it has to be.
Although there is a section in the Cedega config files that should allow you to set the DeadZone to 0, it does not work. The workaround can be found at this site: CEDEREM - The CEdega DEadzone REMover. Be sure to calibrate your wheel per the instructions. WARNING - this patch will update your Cedega installation - although the script does back up the affected files, you should proceed with caution.
- The original instructions, URL above, indicate that you need to switch to use OpenGL. As of this moment the Direct3D version works with Cedega. Also the OpenGL version is not officially supported, although I doubt you'll get support anyway if Cedega is mentioned :)
- Would like to acknowledge that the original details of how to get this game to work comes from Christoph Frick's webpage on Playing Papyrus Games with Linux/386 and wine.
A realistic driving simulation of NASCAR using the 2003 season drivers and sponsors. The installed version contains 23 tracks to drive on, the ability to add new tracks, new car sets and modify existing car paint schemes.
NASCAR Racing 2003 (NR2K3) has a very rich base of modifications and extra tracks. You can update your installation to run Craftsman Trucks (CTS), Busch series cars (GNS), 1988 era stock cars (Aero88) and 1970s era stock cars (GN1970). Other mods are available to allow you to run "short track" style cars, modifieds and even sprints.